I caught America's Best Dance Crew season six, episode three tonight. Each crew was tasked with dancing to a Black Eyed Peas song and with one trick move or illusion -- not that tough since it's early in the season. Here's my notes from the episode:
- Iconic Boys: Kind of gimmicky with the neon suits and light up ropes, but I liked it. Pretty good effort overall. They need to step up their tricks and dynamism, cause the cute kid thing might get old fast.
- Phunk Phenomenon: Great performance! I liked the slow-to-fast transitions, tricks, and the incorporation of breaking, house, and locking. Overall, incredible energy and dynamism.
- IAMMe: They really brought it, I thought. Lots more dynamism and better use of the stage. More incorporation of dance beyond popping.
- Street Kingdom: Great krumping, of course. I felt like their prop got in the way of their dancing, and frankly they kind of lost me during most of the routine.
- 787 Crew: Better dancing this time around, good use of tricks and b-boying. I'm getting a bit tired of the glowy neon, but it worked well.
- Instant Noodles: Very clever use of video game imagery and jokes. Great b-boying and really fun choreo.
- Footworkings: I liked their, well, fast footwork. There was a bit more beyond their footwork, including some acrobatics and breaking.
- Request: That was hella strange and awesome. I really liked the theatricality of it, which was beyond what any of the other crews brought.
My favorite crews of the night: three way tie between Phunk Phenomenon, I Am Me, and Request. But really everyone did a great job with the challenge. It's going to be a tough season to judge.