My friend Cynthia Millman passes along this exciting news about a BBC radio program on lindy hop that aired yesterday and is streaming online for the next week. Swinging At The Savoy presented by Len Goodman was broadcast on BBC Radio 2 on December 5.
You can listen live on BBC Radio 2 or on the internet at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017t3zc for 7 days .
- Norma Miller – original dancer and pioneer at The Savoy Ballroom alongside Frankie Manning
- Barbara Billups – Sonny Allen’s dance partner and member of touring dance troupe Sonny Allen And The Rockets
- Sugar Sullivan - Sugar has been featured with the Harlem Blues & Jazz Band, Cab Calloway's Hi-De-Ho Orchestra, Duke Ellington Orchestra, Count Basie Orchestra, and Panama Francis and his Savoy Sultans among others
- Dawn Hampton - danced with Frankie Manning in Malcolm X. She has been a singer, dancer and cabaret artist since the age of 3 in the 1930s
- Frankie Manning - pioneer of swing dance and inventor of the aerial. Interview recorded in 2003
- Cynthia Millman – Co Authour of Frankie Manning's autobiography, Frankie Manning: Ambassador of Lindy Hop
- Paul Mercer Ellington – Grandson of Duke Ellington and current band leader of The Duke Ellington Orchestra
- John Miller – Glenn Miller's nephew and leader of the John Miller Orchestra
- Jive Aces – UK’s number one swing band, regularly play to swing fans around the world
- World War II veterans at War & Peace Show
- Joe Wilder - a great trumpet player who performed many times at the Savoy
- Chazz Young – Frankie Mannings son and a talented dancer in his own right. Chazz also worked on Malcolm X
- Ray Gelato – former member of The Chevalier Brothers, Ray gelato has performed swing at Royal Albert Hall and for The Queen
- The Puppini Sisters – modern day Andrews Sisters, well known for their close harmony versions of modern day tracks
- Herrang Dance Camp – the worlds biggest swing dance camp, it runs for 5 weeks a year, with over 1,000 dancers and attracting internationally renowned techers and original swing dancers from the Savoy era. Led the swing revival in Sweden
- Warren Heyes – member of the Jiving Lindy Hoppers, alongside Terry Monaghan, who led the UK swing revival
- Broken Hearts DJs – swing djs and host of Jazz FM’s Peppermint Candy swing show
- Swing Patrol/London Jitterbug Championship event – swing teachers and events organisers in the UK and Australia
- Jive Swing/ Vintage Tea Dance event – swing teachers and events organisers in the UK
- International swing dance teachers from US, Sweden and UK
- International swing dancers from Switzerland, US, Japan, Portugal, France, UK
Check it out while you can!