I was totally unprepared for Season 7 of "America's Best Dance Crew," which my friend Michelle alerted me to on Facebook. Just finished Episode One, and I'm so far pretty impressed.
This first week was the "Britney Spears" challenge, which was kind of a "meh" way to start the season. Still everyone seemed to perform their Britney mixes well, which all had a heavy doses of dubstep added to them. Cause that's what the kids love these days. Wub-wub-wub-wub.
Quick crew breakdown:
- 8 Flavahs: Hawaiian / LA all-teen girl crew "8 Flavahs" were pretty adorable and had some nice gymnastic flair. As last season demonstrated, you can ride cuteness pretty far in this competition even without much talent.
- Mixed Elements: Another one of these Cali mixed-style crews. Don't know if they have a consistent group character though.
- Irratik: Another sexy girl crew, this time from Montreal. They were born to do a Britney Spears routine, so of course they worked it. We'll have to see what else they have beyond sexy vamping.
- Step Boys: It's hard not to love a comedic Asian crew. And they have some solid tricks and dancing to back it up. Dumb crew name, though.
- Fanny Pack: Their choreo is always very strong, as are their characters and stories. I worry that they don't have the "wow" sort of moves that a winning crew needs at ABDC. Still, one of my favorite and most original crews of all time.
Best line of the week comes from D-Trix: "That makes me sad... in my pants."
Looking forward to the next batch of crews on Thursday!